Today I am 39 weeks! To be honest, I wasn’t sure with all of this prelabor that I would make it to 39 weeks pregnant, but God has other plans for little Isaac. He must be pretty cozy in there to be fighting all the contractions I’ve been having! It has been a great time for me to trust in the Lord’s perfect timing, although I cannot wait to kiss those little fingers and toes. Prelabor can be utterly exhausting, both physically and emotionally, anticipating active labor for weeks, but I know that God knows the exact time and date of Isaac’s birth. So, the waiting continues 🙂
One thing that comes with being so very pregnant is hypernesting to the max…. I’m even wearing out my mom and my sister! I’ve cleaned, baked, made projects, organized, re-cleaned an already clean house, shopped, walked, slept, and still no baby. I’ve decided that my new thing will be cleaning (yeah, I know… we’ll see how long that lasts) because it is the only thing in the morning and and night that keeps my sanity. Waiting for our little one to arrive even has James anxious and getting impatient. Yes, I know that I am only 39 weeks and that is still early, but considering the fact that I’ve been having contractions for two and a half weeks straight, we both thought he would be here by now. So, the cleaning, baking, and project creating continues. Tonight’s projects? Peanut Butter Oatmeal cookies (yes, I’ve already had three while writing this) and probably my most favorite project thus far – transferring a photo to wood for Isaac’s nursery.
As you know, Isaac’s room has an airplane theme which is a long running hobby/career in my family that has rooted itself into the heart of the Brandons. James is nearly done with his pilot’s license and has started pursing aviation photography in his career. I wanted some of James’ work to hang on Isaac’s walls, but the crisp, clean (and completely beautiful) canvas or metal prints he has just didn’t suit the vintage airplane theme. So, I went a “Pinteresting” for a way to use one of James’ modern prints and make it look like an antique. After MANY pinterest fails, we finally ran across one that actually worked!! Better than that, I’m pretty much in love with this project and I will for sure do it again!
Here goes another tutorial (what a better way to get some of my nesting out :)):
One thing is for sure, I am a major major bargain hunter… so, everything I do has to be done cheaply 🙂 I’m pretty sure my entire house, with the exception of a couple things, came from Canton or a flea market and I have just redone them. This project was no exception! First, I found a print of James’ that I loved – A Cessna that he photographed for a client that is absolutely stunning! He made a black and white image for me, stuck it on a thumb drive and I went to work gathering supplies. First stop, Staples – for $2.14 I got a 20×30 black and white laser printed picture on paper. It’s very important that it is laser printed because an ink jet will not work. Next stop, Home Depot to get wood – I used a single piece of wood that I just had them cut into two 10X30 strips that we later put together. Total for wood ~$9.00. Then, Hobby Lobby – I got an an acrylic gel medium for $8.99 (but I used a 40% off coupon).
First step, spred the acrylic get medium on the wood in a generous, but not gloopy coat. Next, lay the picture image side down on the wood and rub flat with either a plastic dowel or your fingers if you don’t mind some creases or bubbles here and there.
Next, let it dry overnight…. Now, comes the fun part! In the morning, get a wet cloth and dampen the picture – too wet doesn’t work and neither does too dry, so you’ll have to play with it. Then rub (not too hard!) all the paper off 🙂 Yes, you might want to recruit two or three people for this depending on how big your image is because my fingers must have no fingerprints (they didn’t work very well) but my dad’s worked like a charm! There will be some paper left behind, so you can continue to let the paper dry, dampen it, and then re-rub it off, or you can just go with it! Some of the paper that was left behind ended up soaking up the stain and actually added to the vintage look and texture of the final product, so I kinda liked it on there 🙂
Then, we stained the wood, sanded the edges (to get the extra glue off and to add some distressing), and then added an ink pigment to the sanded edges. The pigment was one or two shades darker (depending on how generously you applied it) than the stain, so it added some antiquing and some texture to the image. The point is to not have a perfect project. The creases in the paper, the sanded edges… all of it adds character!
Finally, we used a clear wax that you let dry overnight and then buff away the next day. This could be substituted for Mod Podge, but I like the way the wax looks and feels – more like a piece of artwork. However, this stuff can get pricey, so using a 40% off coupon at Hobby Lobby for Mod Podge would be a way cheaper route. But, seeing that my mom pretty much has everything you need to do any craft, we just used her wax instead 🙂
Then, my hubby mounted the wood together and put brackets on it so we could hang it in little Isaac’s room ($10 from Ace)! And viola! For less than $30.00 we made a piece of art that is by far my most favorite part of Isaac’s nursery (my mom had some of the supplies already ;))! I love it! I also love the fact that I am able to display James’ work in a totally unique way. It was so easy 🙂
I’m really really hoping my next post is Isaac’s birth story, but if he doesn’t come in the next few days I’ll try and post some other pictures of his room. It is coming together slowly but surely! I kinda like the fact that it will be a work in progress because I am always looking for something else to create! Until then, be praying for Isaac and his birth 🙂 He will be here before we know it!